Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pastor John's Corner- February 2009

The season of the Epiphany is almost half over. Epiphany literally means “to reveal” and we associate it with the visit of the Magi to the Christ Child. By doing so, it is said; they revealed the Christ Child to the world as a Savior for all people not to just a select few people or a particular society.
Let’s think about that theme of “to reveal” for a moment and in particular, think about what we can do to “reveal” the spirit of Jesus Christ to others. In order to reveal, we must discover and I’d like us to focus on the discovery and reveal process this year as a parish. Let’s begin by asking ourselves a series of questions: “Are we the best that we can be?” “Are we using all of the talents that God has given us?” “Am I personally serving God to the best of my ability?” “What am I doing to help my church serve the community in which I live?”
I suspect that if we take some serious time for reflection we will find that we, personally or as a faith community, have barely touched the surface of using the talents that God gave us. So, here is a list of things I’d like you to think about and maybe you too can come up with an epiphany.
1. How can we develop a “Prayer Chain” for each church or
maybe even a parish-wide one?
2. Finish this sentence: I think _______ would make our worship
services more inspirational and or vital, and this is what I can
do to help.
3. Finish this sentence: I really wish our church would _______
and this is what I can do to help.

Three simple questions to think about; and yet they all require thought and personal involvement. They require working together and planning and volunteering. I’m betting if you ask yourself these questions and then share your answers with each other that a ground swell can occur and we can accomplish great things for 2009. Ask God for help; He’s always there!
Pastor John

No comments: