Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pastor John's Corner- November 2008

Vacations are a wonderful time if we only let ourselves physically and mentally actually take one. Probably one of the hardest things for me to do is to “let go” and walk away to let someone else do the job. Kathy will be the very first to attest that I am a person who has not learned to relax. But this last week Kate and I again made our way to Nevada and California, and for once I think I really relaxed and refreshed myself.

I owe part of that relaxation, and my sincere thanks, to Julie Wallis who shared her book with us called “The Shack.” I read this book from start to finish in one sitting, (four hour planes rides will give you that opportunity) and I believe it truly set the tone for our vacation. If you have not read this book, I would suggest you put it on your personal Christmas list of “things to do for myself.” I guess I would call it a “Christian fiction” book, but it is deeply theological and will not only give you much to think about, but will maybe even challenge your ideas about God’s essence and will possibly open you up to new and insightful thinking about faith ---- not religion ---- faith.

The second book I read, (yes, on the plane ride home) was called “FIREPROOF”. This story is about a couple who discovered, almost too late, that the power of Christian faith and the Holy Spirit were the only answers that might save their marriage. The book has just recently been released as a movie. Buy this book somewhere and read it.

My other relaxation blessing came as Kate and I were driving through the Lake Mead and Valley of Fire National Recreation areas. The convertible top was down, the sun was sitting low on the mountain horizon, the scenery was breath-taking and suddenly the “Hallelujah Chorus” came wonderfully and loudly through our Sirius Satellite Radio Station. God is Still Speaking! --- And when God says “take a break,” God not only means it ---- God provides the tools and the setting.

Christ’s Blessings,


Pastor John

No comments: